Migrating from Silverlight to WinUI and Uno Platform Documentation
Silverlight will reach the end of support on October 12, 2021. As luck would have it, a new Windows UI framework is about to RTM in March 2021 – WinUI – the modern native UI platform of Windows. And with WinUI launch there is a renewed desire by C# and XAML developers to write single codebase applications for Windows and the Web.
Enter Uno Platform. Hello “Rich Internet Applications (RIA)” again!
There are a number of pages of Silverlight migration documentation to help you with migration – accompanying source code, techniques and considerations you need to make when migrating your Silverlight application.
Table of contents:
- Silverlight to Uno Migration Introduction
- Create the Uno solution for UWP and WASM
- Considering navigation – comparing Silverlight and UWP navigation
- Reviewing the app startup – comparing Silverlight and UWP app lifecycle
- Migrating the home page XAML and styles – comparing XAML
- Switching to string resources – comparing the Silverlight and UWP approach to resources
- Dialogs and errors – Silverlight ChildWindow to UWP ContentDialog and console logging
- Data access services – high-level review of alternatives to WCF RIA Services, data and authentication
- Client Authentication – securing access to data APIs
- Implementing a singleton token service – pattern for implementing singletons and creating a token service to secure data APIs
- Implementing an identity service client – implementing an authentication service
- Migrating the authentication UI – migrating the Silverlight login UI, alternative to Silverlight DataForm
- Integrating authentication and navigation – WIP – will migrate the role check before navigating
- Implement the time entry service – WIP – will implement the Time Entry Service client
- Migrating the time entry UI – WIP – will look at alternatives to the Silverlight DataGrid
- Wrap-up – WIP – will summarize the key migration activities
- The TimeEntry Sample apps – overview of sample apps and build instructions
- Useful resources